A Place at the Table: Social Justice in an Ageing Society
Social Justice Statement 2016 – 2017
The Australian Catholic Bishops Conference Social Justice Statement 2016 – 2017 addresses social justice in an ageing society. The statement is titled A Place at the Table.
Bishop Vincent Long van Nguyen’s opening message explains:
At this time in Australia, we face a threefold challenge: to work for an inclusive society that brings older people into the heart of the community; to ensure the dignity and care of people who are frail and most vulnerable to neglect or abuse; and to foster solidarity among all generations, recognising the special affinity that exists between young and old.
This video presents highlights from the statement.
Download Social Justice Statement 2016 – 2017
A Place at the Table can be downloaded in word or PDF format here.
The Australian Catholic Social Justice Council provides a range of resources to help parishes, communities and Catholic organisations to engage with the statement. They include:
– a summary of the statement,
– a letter from Archbishop Hart, President of the Australian Catholic Bishops Conference
– liturgy notes
– a Community Education Resource
– a prayer card called A Prayer for All Ages
– an action leaflet called Ten Steps to Creating a Place at the Table
– and a PowerPoint presentation
Resources can be downloaded here.